Some Important Contributions:
In addition to her research in condensed matter physics,Judy R.
Franz has made important contributions to the physics community at large,
in education and promotion of international cooperation, particularly
through her work as Executive Officer of the American Physical Society, in her
presidency of the Amercian Association of Physics Teachers, and as Secretary
of the United States Liason Committee of the International Union of Pure and
Contributions to Condensed Matter Physics
"Studies of Perturbation Theory and Spin Temperature by Rotary Saturation
of Spins," Phys. Rev. 148: 287 (1966), with C. P. Slichter.
Theoretical, especially numerical, calculations of the changes in the
electronic density of states and character of electronic wave functions in system
undergoing metal-insulator transitions.
- Simple Theory for Alloy Density of States and Conductivity Including Local
Atomic Configurations (with M. Jonson), J. Phys. C 13:5957 (1980).
- Theory of Metal-Nonmetal Transitions in Liquid Metal Alloys
(with F. Brouers and C. Holzhey), J. Phys. F 10: 235 (1980).
- Metal-Insulator Transition in Expanded Alkali Fluids and Alkali-Rare
Gas Alloys, Phys. Rev. B29: 1565 (1984).
- Metal-Nonmetal Transition in Expanded Liquid Mercury, Phys. Rev. Lett.
57: 889 (1986)
Calculation of the effect of electron-electron interactions on the density of state
in disordered insulators.
- "Coulomb Gap in Sodium Tungsten Bronzes,"
Phys. Rev. Lett. 57: 475 (1986), with J. H. Davies.
Fellow, American Physical Society
Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
Indiana University Distinguished Teaching Award 1978
Humboldt Research Fellowship (Munich, Germany) 1978-79
Alumni Honor Award for Distinguished Service, College of Engineering,
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign 1997
1965-67 Research Scientist, IBM Research Laboratories,
1968-74 Assistant Professor, Physics, Indiana University,
1974-79 Associate Professor, Physics, Indiana University
1979-87 Professor, Physics, Indiana University
1980-82 Associate Dean, College of arts and Sciences, Indiana University
1985-86, 1988 & 1990 Visiting Professor, Cornell University
1987-94 Professor, Physics, West Virginia University
1994- Professor, Physics, University of Alabama
1994- Executive Officer, American Physical Society
B.A. Cornell University 1959
M.S. University of Illinois 1961
Ph.D. University of Illinois 1965
Sources and References consulted:
Judy R. Franz, [AMWS1995]
Married to Frank A. Franz; son Eric D. Franz born 1967.
Service in professional societies (partial list)
- Council of AAAS (1995-98)
- Councillor-at-Large, APS (1984-1988)
- President of AAPT (1990)
- Council of Scientific Society Presidents, Executive Board (1990)
- Secretary of US Liason Committee of IUPAP
- Editorial Board of American Journal of Physics (1985-88)
- Councillor-at-Large, AWIS (1981-83)
- Deputy Secretary General of IUPAP (1999 -
Field Editors: Steven Kivelson/Frieda Stahl